This is how you make one of summers best drinks: Iced Coffee.
Refreshing iced coffee is nothing more than chilled coffee, milk, sugar and a lot of ice cubes. Simple, delicious, not that special. But this coconut flavoured iced coffee is actually exciting! Instead of milk I use full fat coconut milk and for a rich flavour I add vanilla and spices. You’ll be amazed at how winter spices can totally upgrade your summer drinks.
Prep time: 10 minutes + 3-4 hours in fridge
- 1 1/2 cup (400 ml) strong coffee or espresso
- 3/4 cup (200 ml) full fat coconut milk
- 4 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 vanilla beans
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp ground fennel seed
- Ice cubes
- Brew 1 ½ cup strong coffee in a coffee maker. For a 1 serving use a ratio of 11 grams (0.38 ounces) coffee for 180 mL water (3/4 cup). Let cool in de fridge for a few hours.
- Combine the coconut milk, vanilla bean seeds, maple syrup, star anise, cinnamon and fennel seeds in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Simmer 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Transfer the milk to a jar and place in the fridge for at least two hours. Scoop out the star anise and cinnamon before serving.
- Fill a two glasses with ice cubes, pour over the cold coffee. Add the coconut vanilla milk.